This is the final installment of my series of posts following the progression of a painting I started at the beginning of January – a “paysage planétaire” inspired in part by the work of Ferdinand Hodler and other painters from that era. So, in my last post, described the overpainting. Earlier this week, I put the final touches on this and completed the piece. It was a little touch and go there for a while, but I think it’s come out pretty well:
So here it is, complete. Took about a month. Part of the time was waiting for the layers to dry. Lately I’ve been experimenting with a more traditional medium (stand oil and oil of Spike Lavender) which works great but dries slowly. These were the only additives (besides mineral spirits and a little linseed oil) used in this painting.